STEP 1: Using a pen and un-lined white paper, sketch the layout of the room. Don’t worry about drawing to scale.
STEP 2: Using a tape measure, measure the entire length of each wall, corner-to-corner.
STEP 3: After the entire length of the walls has been measured and recorded, measure each wall in detail.
- Starting in the corner, measure the distance to the casing of the first window.
- Next, measure the width of the window (include casings)
- Proceed to measure all items on length of wall. Items important to include are: doors, windows, built-ins, radiator, electrical outlets, sconce(s), etc.
- Continue to do this for all other walls.
STEP 4: Once you have completed the detailed measurements, add up the detailed measurements on a calculator and make sure that they add up to your measurement of the entire length wall. If the number is off by more than 5 inches, quickly re-measure length of wall and details to find error.
STEP 5: Additional Measurements:
- Window height
- Door Height(s)
- Fireplace (if applicable): hearth length & width
- Height of ceiling from lowest point to the floor
STEP 6: Take note of all ceiling light fixtures and approximately indicate existing placement on your drawingSTEP 7:
Scan and e-mail your drawing to us with all information included from the steps above.